Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Preparedness Potpourri

This is a tactic any of my old editors would use when they had to write a column but only had snippets of info to work with, not full-blown ideas. They would write several disjointed paragraphs that had next to nothing to do with each other, then call it something witty like “Random Thoughts” or “Deep Musings.”

(Maybe “witty” is more appropriate.)

Such titles were supposed to suggest hours of deep thought and intense navel-gazing.

In the words of my once-teenage kids, “Whatever.”

There’s no business like snow business…. Apparently, those “Think Snow” bumper stickers really work. Communities in the higher elevations of Arizona – notably Flagstaff, Show Low, the White Mountains, and pretty much the whole Mogollon Rim – are getting their fill of the white stuff. No sooner did the Wing Mountain snow play area near Flagstaff close due to dwindling snow inventory than Mother Nature went and replenished stock. Nice, if you’re into that type of thing. As for me, there’s a saying: “You don’t have to shovel sunshine.”

If there’s a moral or a point, it’s this: Be prepared for winter.

Do you hear what I hear? Did you enjoy your holidays? I had the whole family over to my house for Thanksgiving and whupped up a holiday dinner, replete with homemade gravy, ham and turkey. Good thing I had the foresight to make ham because the turkey was undercooked. Like pink juice squirting out of the leg joint undercooked. I said, “Eww.” Well, maybe I said something stronger. And louder. Maybe that’s why my sister all but yelped when the topic of hosting Christmas dinner came up. I don’t know why she was so antsy; I planned to smoke a pork butt roast.

If there’s a moral or a point, it’s this: Try not to poison your relatives. They take that kind of thing pretty personally.

It’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Face it: You like playing games. Maybe you play them at work. Maybe you play them while flying. You’re a regular player-participator, you are.

Then why haven’t you played this game?

No comments: