Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

My first outreach events as a Public Information Officer

During my first week as Public Information Officer for the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs, I was excited for the opportunity to participate in two outreach events and spread the word about emergency preparedness.  How many people would come up to our booth? Would anyone show interest in emergency preparedness? What I found were dozens of people with genuine curiosity and great questions in a time of heightened concern for emergency situations.
I joined my co-workers for two outreach events at American Express campuses in Phoenix. Many who approached our table shared their concerns about recent natural disasters, from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, to the large earthquakes in Mexico and the ongoing wildfires in California.  For many individuals, these events were reminders of the need to prepare for emergencies. The truth is emergencies can happen anywhere and at anytime. We had great conversations with several people throughout both days, as we gave out informational preparedness packets to those who visited our booth. I found myself feeling gratified and appreciative that people took our advice to heart, with some even taking extra packets to give to family and co-workers. Our visitors welcomed the opportunity to learn  about all-hazard emergency preparedness.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how rewarding this experience felt to me. I enjoyed meeting new people and giving them helpful information they can use to  keep themselves and their family safe during emergencies. The family communication plan template and the emergency supplies kit checklist that we shared have the potential to help families plan ahead.
The experience also provided me with excellent practice for outreach events I will participate in the future. As I spoke to more people, I learned how I can be an informative Public Information Officer. I learned about the different questions people can ask related to disasters in Arizona, how others look at emergency preparedness from their  unique viewpoints, and ways that I can share this information with the public in an engaging way.

I loved being able to participate in these outreach events and hope people walked away ready to plan, prepare and inspire others to be ready in an emergency. I’m already looking forward to the next outreach opportunity!


No comments: