Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Giving it a shot

Photo Courtesy: CDC/ Emily Cramer
I have always avoided the flu shot.

Like many others, I trusted that my generally good health habits would keep me strong enough to fight the flu if I was ever infected. I was confident that I could pull off a speedy recovery and be in tiptop shape in no time. I have to admit, I believed the flu shot was just not for me.   

As I learned more about the influenza vaccine and the vulnerable populations it protects, such as seniors and pregnant women, I began to reconsider my staunch position. Information regarding the benefits of the flu shot changed my perspective and prompted me to realize that not only was it preventative care for me, but it could be a life-saving step I take for someone else.

According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, more than 4,000 people on average are hospitalized from flu complications and 700 people die from the flu each year. Elderly populations, children, pregnant women and people with certain health conditions are at high risk for serious complications if they contract influenza. In an age where certain health threats are preventable through a vaccination, these statistics are shocking.

Because of the similarities in symptoms, I was also under the misconception that the flu was just like the cold. I did not realize that symptoms from the flu can be serious and lead to life-threatening complications.

For several weeks, I received e-mail notifications reminding me of the health screening and flu clinic happening at my work site. The announcement mentioned that the flu shot would be available to staff. Although it was clear that this would be an easy and convenient way to get the shot, I was not persuaded. Still, I shrugged it off.

On the morning of the expo, I sat in my seat typing away on the computer, as my coworkers eagerly walked to the health assessment. I began to think about the information that I had learned and how the flu shot can protect others, including myself. Compelled by these flu shot facts, I left my desk and squeezed in a stop at the flu clinic before a morning meeting. Before I knew it, I had filled out my paperwork and found myself standing in line, waiting to take the first step towards maintaining my health during flu season. The nurse administering the shot sensed my nerves. She asked if I knew about the flu shot, explained what is in the vaccination, and prepped me mentally for potential soreness in my arm afterwards. Her thorough information eased me through the moment, and before I knew it, she placed a band-aid on my arm signaling she had finished.

The flu shot may seem like an unnecessary precaution, but learning about how the flu spreads, its symptoms, and the dangers it may pose to vulnerable populations puts into perspective the need to prepare for influenza season. A simple vaccine can keep you healthy and potentially save lives. Why not give it a shot?


Learn more about influenza and the flu shot at ein.az.gov/flu-prevention. 

No comments: