Search This Blog

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Not a typical first day as an intern

Dustin at the AZ DEMA Headquarters
My name is Dustin. I am a student at Arizona State University, working on completing a degree in Public Policy and Public Service with an emphasis in Emergency Management and Homeland Security. I took a five year break from college to enter the workforce so when I was accepted to the Arizona Departmentof Emergency Management and Military Affairs (DEMA) internship program I thought I knew what I was in for. I “understood” that interns were for getting coffee, filing papers and meant to be seen but not heard. That is not the case at DEMA.

When I showed up for my first day, I expected a typical introduction to the rules and regulations, perhaps even some death by PowerPoint. Instead, we went through brief introductions and were rushed into the Arizona State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC). President Trump was visiting Arizona and DEMA, along with other federal, state, and local agencies, prepared for his arrival. 

As I walked into the SEOC, it looked like a movie scene of a NASA control center, with large screens on the walls and dozens of individuals working from computer stations. In the room, personnel represented various agencies, ranging from law enforcement to local emergency management, including DEMA staff members. 

I had the opportunity to listen to a briefing that outlined the President's schedule for the day and the state’s plan to ensure that everyone stayed safe during the planned protest. It was exciting to be part of a real world event and watch live reports come in from different agencies. DEMA entered a 24-hour watch, standing by in case anything happened.

As our work day came to an end, I and the other interns found ourselves wanting to stay to watch as events unfolded while the President gave his speech and protesting took place. 

Not bad for a first day.


An inside look at the Arizona State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC)





Blog by Dustin Kirk
















No comments: